Main Menu

'Tis I, Owner of the Site!

Started by Numbuh 3491, Feb 23, 2024, 09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Numbuh 3491

TLDR; Male in early 30s starting game development finally after paying a long debt. I am still getting my shit together but I am a forum hopeful. For now, focus on making the website better for the next 1-3 months before starting game dev journey.

I am pretty nervous as I type this all out since it has been a long time since I have used forums or introduced myself. My social skills are also pretty doo doo butter so there is no helping that. And to think of a proper way to start myself.. Super hard. So this introduction of mine will assume that you, the reader, do not know me at all or have lost contact with me.

Hi! I am an early 30s year old male who has finally paid off his 9+ year long debts last year of 2023.
For the remainder of 2023, I just sat down, ass plopped to the carpet floor, thinking what to do next? Suddenly free time out of nowhere had me wasting it like breathing air although I continued to work and pocket every penny and dollar I could, to get to where I am today. Less than a year of savings and still working the same few part-time jobs.

Since 2008, I had always wanted to be in the field of independent game development but I was all talk and no show in progress. That is still me right now but I am already feeling that change.

So why this website? Why Blanket Forts? Why not Twitter, Youtube, Reddit, or Discord? Honestly for as convenient all those things are, my familiarity and longing for a forum ran deep in veins.

I am no stranger to forums, as I have actively participated in numerous forum sites since 2007 and even started a few myself before ultimately closing those down due to either lack of interest and/or money. Forums as of late are a niche product for a niche audience. I can tell as all the sites I used to visit have closed down and the ones remaining barely has any activity. But that will not stop me from starting this one. The one thing forums have that is superior to social media is FOCUS or an appeal to your long attention span rather than social media's want for your short attention span. At least that is how I see it. You can browse youtube or tiktok shorts for half a day and not even remember a single thing while browsing here, you at least know you're here to be a part of something. Whether that something becomes a success story or a failure.. I can't say. I am not a seer.

Oh right, back to game development. So.. I plan to share stuff I learned or share my progress on a weekly to monthly basis. I would love to share them frequently but as I work multiple part-time jobs, I do not get a lot of free time to myself. There may be weeks or months I do not share at all but I hope that will rarely happen as I balance my passion for the craft, saving up funds, budgeting my spending carefully, and avoid burnout.
There is a lot more I'd like to write but I think I will save that for my future dev blogs/journals.

I look forward to growing a community around my games. If not my games, then hopefully something else!
In the meantime, I will be working on this website and make the user experience better before I continue forward as a bad user experience is bad for all of us.